News:

SMF - Just Installed

Main Menu

Hyperlinks not appearing in email.

Started by ddc, May 09, 2013, 07:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddc

Hi,

We are having trouble getting hyperlinks to appear in emails. If we include (item_url) or (company_website) in an email, the receipient only sees text.  On our test machine, we receive other emails and hyperlinks are active, so I think the problem is with how the email is sent, not my reader settings on our test machine. Also, if I do a carriage return after the hyperlink in a received test email, it becomes active.

Hyperlinks used to appear as active.  We upgraded to Windows Live a few months ago on all of our machines; not sure if that is the problem.  We send most emails not as HTML.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Duane

Update as of 2:53 PM EST.  I figured out the issue.  If an email is selected as "preview before sending" in Supermanager, the hyperlinks do not work. If no "preview" is selected, hyperlinks remain active.  Not a priority fix for us as long as we can work around the issue. Would be nice to have emailer allow hyperlinks in all circumstances at some point.  Thanks.

DC
www.artofhaircare.com

David Johns

Duane,

Thanks for the update.  I tried this and can't repeat the behavior you are seeing.  Recognizing urls and displaying them as hyperlinks is something that is done by the software (or webmail) you use to read your email.  In my case, whether I send them without previewing or with previewing, MS Outlook 2013 recognizes the urls and displays them as hyperlinks.

The only way to make sure that urls are displayed as hyperlinks is to send the email as html and use the following code for the item_url, for example:
<a href="item_url">item_url</a>
You don't need to put any of the rest of the email into html code, unless you want to make sure the fonts and other stylistic elements are a particular way.  After inserting this html, make sure to check the option "Send as HTML" in the email template settings in the store settings.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

ddc

David,

Thanks for the added details.  We are using Windows Live Mail 2011 & 2012.  As you suggest, I am sure there is some setting in our email program that would fix the issue on our end; we just can't find it.  We also have never had luck creating HTML emails that render properly.  Whenever we try HTML based emails, they always show the raw code.  Anyway, that's a project on our end for another day. 

Thanks again,
Duane
DC
www.artofhaircare.com