Check for updates : Fixed - Beta 1.1.2.8

Started by EricE, September 14, 2006, 08:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricE

When trying to test the new "Check for updates" feature, I am getting an error returned which says

"Invalid Expiration Date Returned" (Pop-Up dialog box)

On the bottom of SM where it displays the status- IE -Logging into yahoo etc, it says

"Error checking for updates:Invalid expiration date returned".

I've tried this on multiple computers and different company files. Same results.
Eric
Serial Entrepreneur

More to come Soon!
www.PremierTruckAccessories.com
www.RAMSRT10.com
www.GCSRT8Performance.com

David Johns

Eric,

This just means that we don't have your information in our database.  We are working on getting this all up to date.  Sorry about the confusion.  There are no updates at this time anyway.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

EricE

No worries... I was just trying to break some of the new features.  :-D
Eric
Serial Entrepreneur

More to come Soon!
www.RAMSRT10.com

Nathan - AsSeenOnTVChannel.com

Works perfectly for me. Although as you say there are no new updates. A thought about this though is that it should request that you do a backup of the data first. I know this is a no brainer for me since I have tried new versions and they are broken (not your software of course) and it's an easy way to reverse back to the older version if needed.

Just my 2 cents.

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com
http://www..com

David Johns

Nathan,

If there is an update it will put up a message box that reminds the user the backup their file.  I hadn't thought about it, but we could easily incorporate a function that would automatically copy it as filename_version.sbk or something like that.  Sound good?

BTW - Eric - we made sure you were added to our database.  It should work for you now.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

Nathan - AsSeenOnTVChannel.com

Nathan Freedman
.com
http://www..com

EricE

Thanks for getting us added to the database!

In the process of launching two new stores; I really appreciate the fact that I can create a "template" SM file with some of our basic settings and then quickly personalize it for the new stores. Talk about a time saver!

I like the idea of automatically backing up the data file when upgrading the application.
Eric
Serial Entrepreneur

More to come Soon!
www.RAMSRT10.com

ajentp

I recently downloaded 1.1.2.3 and then as per David's advise went for 1.1.2.4. Check for update button gives the following error: "Invalid Expiration Date Returned"

any suggestion.

Thanks

Ahsan 

David Johns

Ahsan,

Try it again.  I just added you to our customer database.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

EricE

Something else you might want to consider adding within the "Check for updates" is that if the utility finds that there is an update available and the user elects to download the update that is closes the SM application instead of popping up a warning notice about the application running and asking the user if they wish to continue or terminate the SM application.

Some of our "computer USERS" get scared with error messages...

Just a thought...
Eric
Serial Entrepreneur

More to come Soon!
www.RAMSRT10.com

David Johns

Eric,

I've got that on my list.  I will look into backing up the database and shutting down SM if an update is found.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

EricE

I noticed in the release notes that SM is supposed to shutdown when an update has been downloaded and is about to be upgraded.  SM still does not automatically close down when installing an update. Once we receive the dialog box asking to install the upgrade we manually have to close down the application.
Eric
Serial Entrepreneur

More to come Soon!
www.RAMSRT10.com

David Johns

Eric,

This only applies when you update using 1.1.2.7.  Since I am working on getting an update beyond 1.1.2.8 right now, you will not be able to see this functionality in action until that release comes out.  I am also aware that the check to updates feature may cause The Supermanager to crash in 1.1.2.7.  So - I am sorry to say that you probably won't be able to see this functionality working until you upgrade to 1.1.2.9.  Sorry for this inconvenience.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com