News:

SMF - Just Installed

Main Menu

Multiple Users

Started by gregbaskin, March 21, 2007, 03:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregbaskin

We currently have two workstations from which we would like SM to be operated from.  But I have come up with a possible work-around for the multiple users limitation the app.  Please share your comments and concerns about this idea

Install SM on a third PC and the two work stations can "dial in" via a virtual desktop (something like GoToMyPC). 

Also, if we did this, would our QuickBooks installation have to be on the same PC as SM?

I realize this proposed setup isn't very scalable and, candidly, am hesitating to commit to something I know we will outgrow.  But this seems to be our best solution for now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

gregbaskin

Have any other SM users come up with a work-around for this?

Mike Griggs

Hey Greg,

Are your computers on a network?
You can store the database file on the network and the other computers can access the data?

I'm not sure I understand you completely.

Mike

gregbaskin

Yes, our computers are networked. 

Have I misunderstood?  That we can, in fact, have multiple users?

Mike Griggs

Hey Greg,

Here's how it could work for you..

Store your database file, "mystore.smg", on a network drive and then anyone with a computer connected to that network that has access to that drive can "Open" the file in a local SuperManager installation.  Just like with Word or Excel documents. 

The problem comes when you have 2 people who need to "edit" data at the same time.  Multiple users can open and can "read" data at the same time but only 1 user has access to save data to the file.  This protects the database from corruption and loss of data. 

There are many different ways to make this work in your environment and if you describe your working style to us then we can work with you on finding the best solution possible.

Feel free to drop an email if you need to or maybe others have ideas too.

Thanks!
Mike

gregbaskin

Quote from: Mike Griggs on March 22, 2007, 06:22:09 AM
There are many different ways to make this work in your environment and if you describe your working style to us then we can work with you on finding the best solution possible.

We specialize in highly customizable products and this necessitates us doing much work on the phone with our customers.  There are currently two of us throughout the day on the phone and expect to add a third by next Xmas.  We are in and out of customer orders throughout the day.  These items are shipped both from inventory and drop shipped.

I will highly appreciate any thoughts others may have to get around this limitation.  Please let me know more of these "many different ways"!

qbsrox

I'm just going to add my 2cents  :-D ... this is a request that I do receive on a recurring basis and I think it would really be an  to the program if it could be configured for a true multi-user environment. 

Again, I know how busy you guys are - but maybe this can be something like the Yahoo Real-time Inventory Link project - put it out there and see if enough users are willing to split the cost of development so it can be moved up on the priority list.  If there is some kind of estimated cost of development for these two features (ballpark of course), that would give a good idea of how many users we really need to pitch in.  I've seen some cases where the cost of development was feasible for as few as 2 or 3 users to split based on what it was going to save them in time.  Other features of course may require 6-10 users to split - but it's worth putting it out there.   For some, $50 may be all that's in their budget, for others it could be $250 ... but overall everyone wins.

Ok, that's my 2 cents  :-D
Rox
Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor
www.consulting4qb.com

WestCoastClassicCougar

I was wondering if there has been any progress in making a multi-user version of SuperManager and if so are there any projection dates for availability.  We are looking at purchasing SuperManager, but we need to have it capable of multi-user input.  It is not uncommon for us to be taking 2-3 orders simultaneously. 

Looking forward to a response,
Joshua
West Coast Classic Cougar
The Worlds Largest Cougar Only Wrecking Yard!
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com

David Johns

Joshua,

I have to honestly say that we have not been actively working on this one recently.  We have not had any urgent requests for this, but have for some other things that we are just finishing up.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

WestCoastClassicCougar

Has anyone figured out a way to set the manager up to allow multiple workstations to input data simultaneously?  I tried setting up different data bases on each computer and using our Y!Store to pass data between them, but I was receiving error messages.  Is there a way to make that work?  We like the rest of the program, but only having one computer to input orders into is not going to work very well for us.  We have as much volume if not more via phone orders as we do via the web.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance,

Joshua
West Coast Classic Cougar
The Worlds Largest Cougar Only Wrecking Yard!
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com

ajentp

Hi Mike,

I have to say you got to do some thing about Multi Users . The Christmas 2007 has proved to us that we can't live without it. I agree with "qbsrox" you can recover development cost by charging for multiple user environment.

Please consider it seriously. I will post other minor features request soon in new feature section based on our experience this year.

Thanks & Regards

jbanks

I hate to revive this old thread but I was hoping for an update on a TRUE Multi User capability.

We have a large amount of phone orders. We also have multiple users and one guy using VPN from another city to access the network.

Just looking for an update. It would definately make sense for the to cost more too.

Jason

David Johns

Jason,

Glad you brought this up.  It's probably time that we updated everyone on the status of this development.  We were working with a vendor to develop this.  It took them six months longer than expected and they delivered far less than what we expected them to.  At this point we are probably at least six months away from being able to offer it to users to test.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

mikesf16

Is there an update to this thread as to development of the multiuser environment? I just know you'd have a ton of people ready to upgrade.

David Johns

Mike,

We still have plans to work on this enhancement, but have not made any progress on it or have an ETA right now.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com