Want to change my method of interface into QB...

Started by mbcarr1975, August 28, 2007, 09:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbcarr1975

Good Morning all!

Before we had SM, we entered every Yahoo Store order into QB individually and entered every customer payment individually.

When we got SM, we stayed with that same method of exporting each order into QB and manually entering every payment into QB.

Now, a year later, our business has grown to the point (no complaints!) where is has become too bulky (in many ways!) to enter everything individually. I would like to change my method of export from individual invoices to daily sales receipts and then upload the CC bathces and Paypal paymeents from SM.

My question is...what do I need to do to change the methodology in SM and how can I accomplish this new process with as little disruption to the accounting system as possible...

Thanks for your advice!
Michele
Top Notch Gift Shop.com

David Johns

Michelle,

The primary thing to keep in mind when switching over is that you need to make sure that nothing that is included in a batch you export has already been exported in an order that you have exported.  On the flip side you also need to make sure that nothing is left unexported, so you need to make sure you export any orders that would not be included in the first batch you export.

Another important thing is to make sure that all of the transactions in the batch are matched up with something before you export.  There are a couple of tools to help you do this:

• First of all, it is important to pay attention to the log when you export a batch.  When batches are exported SuperManager tries to link all the transactions to the orders they were performed for.  Once it finds the order it determines what proportion of the transaction was for shipping, sales, taxes and so forth.  Anything it can't define as anything else gets  to be taxable sales.  If it can't find the order to see that no tax was charged for it, it doesn't know that it was non-taxable and puts it into taxable sales.  So basically, if SuperManager can't link to each order your tax liability is going to be imported to QuickBooks higher than it should be.  This is where looking at the export log is critical.  SuperManager spells out in the log if it was unable to link to an order for each transaction.  You could do the export of each batch iteratively - exporting once and if there are transactions that didn't link, delete the batch from QuickBooks, rename the transaction in SuperManager so it can link to the order and export it again.  Do this until each and every transaction is correctly linked.
  • There is a function in SuperManager that will scan batches for payment events not existing in orders.  This should only be necessary if there were manual transactions made outside of SuperManager that were not recorded in SuperManager.  To use it go to the orders page and select "Actions" | "Payment Events" | "Copy from Batches".
  • When you find events that don't match up with an order there are a couple of ways to address this.  First of all, from the batches tree you can right click on a batch entry and choose "Open Order".  When you do this SuperManager will try again to link it to an order.  If it can't it will let you know.  If this automated linking doesn't work you can double click on the entry and change the name to help it match to an order.  When SuperManager creates manual transactions in yahoo it puts the transaction names in the form man-order_number-yyyymmddhhmmss so that it can quickly link it to an order and have the time the transaction was made.  You can modify the name of transactions manually to match this convention and SuperManager will be able to link it to the order for which it was made.  Just double click on the batch entry, modify its name and click 'Ok'.

Beyond that it is really just a matter of going to the admin page and clicking on the Accounting Export button rather than choosing orders and selecting XML Exchange.

Post back any additional questions!
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

mbcarr1975

Okay, so I performed my first accounting exports. I got lines of the same message...
Batch 02181: Unable to find card event for entry '19814'.

But...the Batch status is okay and seemed to export the $$ correctly into my undeposited funds account. I am note sure what the above message means...

Also, I need to have each order exported separately so I can track my inventory levels in QB. I had changed my order export to "Sales Receipts", but what I got was a single Sales figure without any inventory sales detail.

If I change back to export orders as invoices, will that still work with the accounting export feature...and how will the invoices show as pais in QB? I guess I am a little confused...

Also, How do I account for the Paypal transactions into QB to match against invoices when I use the accounting export?

Thanks again for the !
Michele
Top Notch Gift Shop.com

David Johns

Michelle,

The error message you recieved says that there was a transaction in your batches that does not exist in your orders.  In this case since it appears the transaction was made through the 'typical' process i.e. not the manual process you can just update this order from Yahoo and it should contain the missing card event.  In the case it is a manual transaction you can go to this batch, find the stated entry, right click on it and choose 'Open Order'.  It will then tell you the card event is missing and ask if you would like to add it to the order.  If you choose 'yes' it will be added to the order.

The impact of not having one or more transactions in an order does not affect the undeposited funds.  It affects what proportion of the transaction is designated as shiping, taxes, taxable sales, non-taxable sales and so forth.  The bottom line is that unless all the batch entries are found the accounting of different income and expense accounts will not be correct.

You are correct - the inventory is not currently handled by the batch export.  This is a potential improvement we have on our list.  Currently the only way to have inventory values tracked is via the order export.

Switching back to the order export will not create any problems.  You just need to delete the batch(es) you exported to make sure it is not double-bookkept.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

mbcarr1975

I am sorry to be so dense, but I am really confused.

If I have to import every order into Quckbooks individually (like we used to do) in order to maintain inventory levels, do I then have to revert to manually paying those invoices individually?

A couple of other things that I don;t understand...

It is not just a couple of orders in the batch that have that "unable to find card event for entry xxxx" it is ALL of the orders in the batch. What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, I still am not clear with the batch processing how I get the Paypal payments in to QB...
Michele
Top Notch Gift Shop.com

David Johns

Michelle,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'paying those invoices manually'.  Do you mean adding them to a deposit?

If all of the batch entries are unable to find their card events it could be one of two things...Are you charging your orders in SuperManager?  If not, you should use the "Update From Yahoo" feature to import the credit card transactions you are making inside Yahoo.  If you are charging orders from inside SuperManager it creates a "Payment Event" when you charge the order and it should be able to link those payment events to the batch entries.

If you are charging from within SuperManager or are downloading the orders or updating the orders from Yahoo after charging I may need to take a look at your file to see if I can figure out why it is not correctly linking the batch transactions to the card events.

Good question about paypal payments.  Currently SuperManager does not have a process for batching PayPal payments.  We developed the batch export before paypal became so popularly accepted.  We have very few customers using the batch export process and evidently none of them have needed it.  We could add something in to address this issue when we add the ability to export inventory adjustments when exporting batches.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

mbcarr1975

If we import each order as an invoice, they have to eventually be "paid" in QB. This is where perhaps I don't understand something about the SM to QB interface...

If we export each order into QB, don't we then need to enter each payment manually into QB in order for it to post to the correct invoice? It looks like the batch export is just a total figure, it doesn't apply payments to individual invoices.

We are charging all of our orders directly through SM. The Payment event shows in each order record, but does not seem to be linking properly in the batch entry. it is kind of strange because the batch entry in quickbooks shows the proper allocation between credit card types, so I don;t understand what "card event" the batch is unable to find...
Michele
Top Notch Gift Shop.com

David Johns

Michelle,

If there are payment events in the invoice summing up to the total amount due on the order, SuperManager will export those payments in the invoice itself (not as separate payments in QuickBooks) and the invoice will get marked paid in QuickBooks.

The batch export sums up all the transactions in one credit card batch in a single QuickBooks Invoice/Sales Receipt.  When you use this method the single invoice/sales receipt created for each batch gives a total of all funds received for all the orders included in that batch.

To debug the problem with SuperManager not correctly linking credit card transactions in the batches to those in the orders can you please send me your supermanager database (smg) file?  Either send a zipped copy of it via email or use www.sendthisfile.com to send it securely.  I will debug the problem and get back to you.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

mbcarr1975

Just a note to let you know that I sent the ZIP file to your e-mail address yesterday...

Thanks again for your help!
Michele
Top Notch Gift Shop.com

David Johns

Michelle,

I received and took a look at your files.  I fixed a few issues as follows:

1. Your "LMG" file had a bunch of batches with the batch number not correctly separated.  This could have been caused by one of a couple things.  It was most likely a bug that was fixed in version 1.1.7.8.  The more recent batches were correctly imported so it seems likely imported the older ones with 1.1.7.7 or earlier and then the later ones were imported with a more recent version.  This bug caused the end part of the store-id when the store-id is in the form yhst-xxxxxxxxxxxxx to apear as part of the batch number.  So they ended up being named xxxxxxxxxxxxxx-order_id instead of just order_id like they are supposed to.  With these names, SuperManager was unable to link them to the orders.  Since your other store does not have a yhst-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx store-id this did not happen for it.  To fix the problem I exported the batches with this problem to an xml file, opened the xml file in a text editor and did a find and replace to remove the "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-" prefix on these batch entry names, deleted the batches from your file, then re-imported them from the corrected xml file.

2. On your other store file I noticed that the earliest batches you had referenced orders that were not in your file.  I'm not sure if you were trying to export the first batches in your file, which were from last summer, but if you were it would not have worked since the orders were not there.  To correct this I downloaded legacy orders back to the first one referenced in your batches.  You can do this by going to "Actions" | "Get Orders..." and selecting a range of orders you want to import.  Then to to bring in the shipping tracking numbers I selected the newly imported orders, right clicked and chose "Get Order Status from Yahoo!".  Now your file has all the orders referenced by your batches.

3. After doing this I ran the "Actions" | "Payment Events" | "Scan for Batched" function to check for any transactions that appear in the batches, but for some reason are not marked as batched.  When you run this function SuperManager does a couple things.  First, it runs through your batches, looks for a transaction in the orders for each batch entry and marks it batched if it finds one.  Normally SuperManager does this as your batches are imported, but if the batch is imported before the order it doesn't happen correctly.  Secondly, it corrects any problems that may have occurred historically in this regard.  Thirdly, it marks all transactions that were voided (and therefore won't exist in a batch) as batched.  It is good practice to do this every now and then, especially when you are exporting batches to QuickBooks instead of orders, to make sure that everything is linked up as it should be.

After following these steps I tried exporting batch 02127 and got:
Quote02127SR: Status = Status OK
which means the export was successful.

I'll send you the corrected files for you to continue to work with.  Report back if you have success with them.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com