News:

SMF - Just Installed

Main Menu

Multi-User version

Started by mbcarr1975, December 16, 2007, 12:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbcarr1975

We need to be able to have more than one person at a time enter data and process shipments from SM...
Michele
Top Notch Gift Shop.com

David Johns

This has been requested by several users.  It would most likely require large changes in SuperManager to make it work.  We are scoping these changes out and determining if/when we can do this.

Thanks for the input!

David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

qbsrox

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to add that I hear this requested a good bit as well... in case you are taking a poll :-)

Thanks!

Rox
Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor
www.consulting4qb.com

finnstyle

Ditto. Would DEFINITELY be useful.
www.FinnStyle.com
www.FinnishGifts.com
www.Aalto.com
www.GlassBirds.com
www.AlwaysMod.com

Nicole

Hi,

I just downloaded the trial of supermanager.  I also vote for multi-users... and multi-users from multiple locations.  Our people currently work from 5 locations... two warehouses, my partner, office location where office staff are, and me... and I travel frequently.  In the office, there are three people that need to modify, charge, print invoices, etc.  I can't see how this is going to work for us at all without multi-users.

Thanks,

Nicole

WestCoastClassicCougar

Hey all,

I have a couple suggestions on stretching SM's to sort of support multiple users.  We have installed SM on a computer that is not used all of the time and have set up a remote connection program so that anyone in the office can remotely access the read/write copy of SM.  This requires us to communicate as to who needs it most at the moment, but at least we all have access to it.  You can use Windows Remote Desktop to do this, but the machine running SM would need to have Windows 2000, XP Pro, or a server version of windows to make that work.  We have elected to use a program called Radmin.  It allows all of us to be logged into the computer that has SM running in read/write mode simultaneously (Windows Remote Desktop only supports one user at a time, unless you make some registry changes), and has a Messaging program built into it so we can communicate via that.  I would be happy to provide info on Radmin if anyone is interested.

Another thought I had would be directed to the SM Developers. Is there a way you could have SM be able to xml exchange data between read only copies and the read write copy.  Ie, when a read only version updates something, ie the shipping info, SM (Read Only) could ask if you would like to xlm exchange this info with the read/write version.  This would at least allow us to have the ability to make updates.  I think it would be difficult to use this feature to add new orders, but at least it would extend our ability to update SM with updates to pre-existing orders.  I know for us, our shipping department does not need full Read/Write Access, just the ability to send the shipping info back to the read/write SM, and our front desk just needs to be able to make changes to customer info, not add orders.  Though in the long run we will need multi-user access for full read/write, this would at least pacify us for a bit. 8-)

Thanks,
Joshua
West Coast Classic Cougar
The Worlds Largest Cougar Only Wrecking Yard!
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com

David Johns

Josh,

This was actually the approach we conceptionalized for putting a bandaid on the problem.  We decided, however, to just take the deep dive we need to for this and other reasons.  We are in the process of getting a team together to work on this.  I think with the concentrated effort we intent to put into it we will have something ready within 2-3 months to try out.  It will be using MS SQL server.

Thanks for the suggestions!
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

grr

i've seen some previous posts mentioning that you will be doing a multi-user platform. 

Is it available yet?

Goldie

David Johns

Sorry, but no - its not available.
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

qbsrox

David,

Is it still on the 'wish list' for a future development?

Thanks!
Rox
www.consulting4qb.com

David Johns

Yes it is, but at this point I can't promise a timeframe.
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

qbsrox

Thanks!  Looking forward to that update :-)
Rox
www.consulting4qb.com

grr

ok.  i love love love your system

we are now hiring salespeople & require the ability for each salesperson to enter their orders directly into supermanager

any ideas on how to get this done?

David Johns

Goldie,

The main way we have seen other customers share the use of SuperManager is by dividing up responsibilities among the staff.  For example, one person is taking orders, another is packing orders and another is working the accounting.  The person taking orders has the "Read-Write" instance of SuperManager open.  The person shipping and/or doing the accounting opens the same file "Read-Only" just so they can export to 3rd party programs (WorldShip, Dazzle, QuickBooks, etc...).

I know that may be somewhat restricting, but for now that's about all I can offer.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

awa

This would be a Great feature, if you can get it to be truly multi user where both parties can have writing and not just reading capability.