error: yahoo returned an invalid xml file

Started by tbergman73013, May 31, 2012, 02:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbergman73013

error: yahoo returned an invalid xml file

we cannot download orders into SM. I have tried from two different machines, I updated both installations, I tried to download three different non-overlapping ranges of order. SM was working fine yesterday. When I opened the browser window, I saw the file and mailed a copy to David. Any ideas? We had to charge orders manually today. Big drag for 180+ orders! Please help.

Tom

David Johns

Tom,

Sorry you went through this.  Note that if you ever run into this in the future you can always temporarily download orders into SuperManager manually by editing orders from Yahoo in xml format and then import them into SuperManager using "File", "Import", "Orders", "Orders xml".  Once they are in SuperManager you should be able to work with them a usual.

Here is a list of things to try:
1. Export the offending orders manually and import them a explained above.  Report back if there is an error while trying this.
2. Reboot your machine and try it again.
3. Report back with version of windows, version of internet explorer and any security software you have installed.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

tbergman73013

The download and save method does work. Thank you for that! At least I am confident we can process orders on Monday.

Using the exact same range of orders, though, I still get the same error.

I am using VISTA and Windows 7. On Vista I have tried IE and Firefox. On Win7 I have just used IE. Same result in all cases. Both computers have AVG Free 2012.0.2171

Any ideas Will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tom

David Johns

Tom,

Is this exactly what you are doing:
1. In the browser, log into your Yahoo Store manager
2. Click on "Orders"
3. Next to the "Export" button, enter the desired range and set the format to XML and then click "Export"
4. Once the XML file is displayed in the browser choose "File" (or click on the gear in internet explorer and then choose "File"), "Save As" and save the file as type "XML" somewhere on your computer
5. In SuperManager choose "File", "Import", "Orders", "Orders XML" and then select the file you just saved from the browser.

If this is exactly what you are doing, please tell me the exact error message you are getting.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

tbergman73013

That is exactly what I am doing and it is working.

What is not working is going to actions>get orders>[insert the range of orders to be obtained]

I can see the login occur in the task bar, then I can see it downloading the range of orders we specified, then about the time I would expect the download to be completed, we get the error: Yahoo returned an invalid XML file.

Opening the browser window then using Ctrl+Shift+E shows the xml file. We can then save as and go back into SM, import the saved XML file and it works fine. It just generates the error when we try to do it in one step, from inside SM. This just started last Wednesday. It worked on Tuesday. We did have some trouble with our peer to peer network on Wednesday, and were unable to see the saved .smg file across the network, so maybe there is some kind of setting that got messed up? Does SM use a temporary file during the order import action we are trying to use? Just throwing out ideas...

Thank you.

Tom

David Johns

Tom,

I'm sorry.  I misread your previous response and thought you were still having issues when trying to import the orders manually.  Glad that is working for you so at least you have a more palletable workaround until we get this issue resolved.

Yes, SuperManager does use a temp file to store the XML before importing it.  You can get to it by going to the "SuperManager" sub-folder in your temp folder.  There is a shortcut to get to it.  You can double click on "My Computer" to bring up the windows explorer (file viewer) and then enter "%Temp%\SuperManager" in the address bar and hit enter.  It should take you to this folder.  Then the orders xml will be called store_id_orders.xml, where "store_id" is your Yahoo store ID.

I have seen this issue with one or two other users.  In their case the XML file discussed above was corrupted.  Rather than just being the XML file itself it was Internet Explorer's conversion of the XML into HTML that it shows you with the fancy java "+" signs and so forth.  Obviously, SuperManager is unable to read this as XML.  In one case, the customer uninstalled Trend Micro and it start working.  In another case, they had installed an internet explorer add-in called "Trusteer" (http://www.trusteer.com/) that was causing the problem.  Once they uninstalled it, SuperManager started working again.  Do you have these applications or any other Internet Explorer Add-ins installed?

Also, with Windows 7 you will need IE9 installed.  What version of IE do you have installed on the Vista computer and on the Windows 7 computer?

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

swtill

Hey guys,
I was downloading orders just fine until about an hour ago (10:30 CST) and now I am getting "yahoo returned an invalid xml file". We download directly from yahoo to SM, computer is windows 7 64 bit, IE9 and I have not added or changed anything in a few weeks. I have also closed/reopened and restarted a few times with no success. Help?

swtill

Hi,
I just sent David a screen shot of what happened when I tried to pull in orders

David Johns

Tom, swtill,

I merged these topics together because they were the same issue.  I put a new beta release out that gives a way to force SuperManager to use an alternative method of grabbing the XML file, which I think will work for you.  Please update to the latest beta, 1.5.1.6 and go to "View", "Program Settings" and enable the new option "Use Alternative IE Integration".  Please report back if that works for both of you.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

swtill

Hey David,
Worked ok so far, the only odd thing is it pops open a new window when downloading, don't know if anything can be done, but thought I would mention. Thanks for working on this

David Johns

swtill,

Glad it is working for you.  Unfortunately the behavior of forcing the window to show happens on some systems and again, it is very environment dependent.  On most systems like this however, it doesn't always show.  I have seen, for example, on some systems if you have internet explorer already open when you open SuperManager it shows the window and when not it doesn't.  Give that a try and see if that is the case with you.  Try closing all IE windows and then opening SuperManager and see if it still displays the window.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

tbergman73013

David,

Finally got back to working on this issue. It remains the same. I choose actions>get orders> enter the range I want. I then see the logging into the store status message, followed by downloading range as it should be then the error box pops up "yahoo returned an invalid xml file" At this point I can ctrl-shif e to get to the xml, save it and then import it. We have been using this workaround for several weeks.

I followed all your suggestions: I have IE9, I have disabled all of the add ins, I do not have Trusteer on my machine, nor Trend Micro installed. I located the temporary file and deleted it. When I tried it again, the temp file was created again and the name looked normal.

This is very aggravating. Oh, and I upgraded to the latest version as you suggested. No joy on any front.

Please let me know what else we can do.

Thank you.

Tom Bergman

Also, are you really ever going to make this program network capable?

tbergman73013

I had missed the instructions for turning on the alternative ie method. I did that and it worked.

Thank you.

Tom

David Johns

Tom,

Glad the alternative method worked for you.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com