Changing Status to Return

Started by radiocheck, April 14, 2011, 02:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiocheck

So far I am pleased with your product.  I just signed up for a license and love the fact that I can charge credit cards and change the status of orders.

I use stamps.com batch feature to print stamps.  The tracking number is inserted into the tracking field on the order and the tracking information drop-down is changed to SHIPPED.

When I receive a return I change the status to in thesupermanager to "Returned". 

1. I know this updates the order on Yahoo to "Returned", but it appears to be sending an email to customers informing them that their order has been shipped.  I've received emails and phone calls lately from customers wondering if we shipped them another order.
2. Also, the tracking information was deleted after I changed the status to "Returned" within thesupermanger.

Is there a way to turn off this emailing feature within thesupermanager when I change the status?  I don't want to have to explain to customers every time I receive a return that we did not ship them another package.

Thanks, Jeremy

David Johns

Jeremy,

Glad you are pleased with SuperManager so far.  In answer to your questions:

1. Unfortunately, this is a "feature" of the Yahoo store manager.  There's not anything we can do as a setting or modification to SuperManager that could address this.  Whenever you change the order status or make any modification to an order in the Yahoo Store manager, if any shipment status is selected, it will send out an update email.  I would encourage you to ask Yahoo to change this behavior.

2. I've been trying to duplicate this behavior.  Are you able to make this behavior occur every time?  If so, can you please give me an exact set of steps that duplicates the behavior?

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

radiocheck

Hi David,

thank you for your reply!
In answer to your question for #2.   I think what may be the explanation to this issue is that I use stamps.com program to print stamps, which updates my yahoo account with the tracking number for each order.  I am not printing stamps through TSM (or using Print Dazzle).
Therefore since there is no record of a tracking number in TSM, it simply is updating whatever information that I have for a specific order, which in each case, is no tracking information.  Does this sound right?

In regards to your answer to my first question, is there a way to modify the email that is being sent when I change the status to "Returned"?    I like that I can select multiple orders to change the status.    However, it would be nice to be able to modify the email to reflect what is being performed on the shipping status update.

David Johns

Jeremy,

That explains what is happening.  As you guessed, since Stamps.com is entering the tracking number and SuperManager is never informed about it, when SuperManager goes in to update the order to "Returned" status, it is deleting the tracking number.  There is a way you can download the tracking numbers into SuperManager.  You can select the order(s) you want to do this for, right click and choose "Get Store Manager Order Status".  This downloads the tracking number, Yahoo's list of repeat orders, the rev share information and, of course, the order status.  If you do this for each order, you will have the tracking information in SuperManager as well.

That being said, that is not necessarily the best process.  You might also which to redirect the tracking numbers from Stamps into The SuperManager and let SuperManager upload them to Yahoo instead.  I suppose that either way gets you the information you need in SuperManager, but it may be more efficient to channel the tracking numbers through SuperManager.  Does Stamps offer an export format that would include the order-id and the tracking number?  If so, we could help you write an import format definition that would accomplish this for you.

As for the email that is being sent when the status is changed to Returned - this email is being sent by Yahoo, not SuperManager.  There may be a way to customize it, but I'm not familiar enough with Yahoo's back end to tell you how to get there.
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

radiocheck

Hi David,

Thank you for the directions on how to upload the status information to TSM.

As to your question, "Does Stamps offer an export format that would include the order-id and the tracking number?", it appears that there is a way to export to a csv or xml file the order-id and tracking number in addition. Attached is a file that I exported.

Jeremy

David Johns

Jeremy,

Here is an smx file that will allow you to import the shipment information from Stamps.com.  You can use this file by doing the following:

1. Download the following file: http://www.thesupermanager.com/download/smx/stamps.com_import.smx
2. In SuperManager go to "View" | "Program Settings" and click "Import SMX..." and choose the file you just downloaded.
3. Press the "Save Settings Now..." button and close the program settings.
4. Choose "File" | "Import" | "Stamps.com" and select the file you exported from Stamps.com.

Once you have imported the smx file once you won't have to do that again, just do step 4 above.

After it imports the shipment(s) you just need to choose "Yes" when asked whether to send out these shipment updates for SuperManager to upload the tracking numbers to Yahoo.  Please see the instructions here to set up the email tracking password before that will work:
http://www.thesupermanager.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0

You can also set up the Stamps.com import to be the default import and by so doing, make it so that all you have to do is press Alt-I to import the file.  To do this, go into the program settings, select the import formats tab , select the Stamps.com import and press "Make Default".

The other thing you can do while there is choose "Remember file path.  When you do this, SuperManager will remember where this file is located so all you have to do is export the file from Stamps.com with the same name every time, go into SuperManager and press Alt-I to import it and choose "Yes" to upload the tracking numbers to Yahoo.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

There is one small issue that I discovered while setting this up for you: SuperManager doesn't properly import the dimensions of the package currently with this format.  I have fixed the issue that causes this and it will be fixed in the next beta release, 1.4.6.2.
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

discountdressshop

Hi David,

In your last reply, you provided an update so that I could import the tracking numbers from stamps.com to SM.  Stamps.com recently updated their software, which I upgraded, however as a result, the import file does not seem to match the settings for SM import.  I would appreciate a fix on this so that I can import the tracking numbers to SM.  Attached is a screen shot of the error that comes up when i try to import the stamps.com file to SM.

Appreciate your help,

Jeremy

David Johns

Jeremy,

Can you please provide me with an example csv like you did last time?  I'll update the import format specification and post an updated smx file.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

discountdressshop

Hi david,

attached is the csv file you requested.

jeremy

David Johns

Jeremy,

Apparently Stamps.com added the "Mailpiece" field to the export and threw off the columns SuperManager was expecting.  I've updated the smx file, which you can download from the same place:
http://www.thesupermanager.com/download/smx/stamps.com_import.smx

When you import it choose "Yes" when it asks you if you want to overwrite the existing Stamps.com import.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com