Group Importing : Added - Beta 1.1.1.4

Started by Nathan - AsSeenOnTVChannel.com, July 04, 2006, 06:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan - AsSeenOnTVChannel.com

Hi,

We sell multiple packs of items so I figured a way of having QB deal with it. You can create a Group and the invoice will break down all the items in the Group. The problem I have now is that when I do a XML export with SM it says that the item is already created and it can't create it (not the exact message but you know what I mean). The problem is that it isn't importing as a group item but trying to create a new item. Is it possible to have a grouped item to import into QB? Or do you have another way of creating a multi-piece item in QB that SM can export?

Thanks,

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com
http://www..com

David Johns

Nathan,

I tried this and got an error as well.  I will research this and see if we can adjust something to make this possible.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

I think Inventory  is the same thing. Would that work?

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com

David Johns

Nathan,

I did a test and an inventory  will import correctly.  They are fairly similar.  They have a few differences:

1. Inventory of groups is not monitored although inventory of each item in the group is.  Inventory of  is monitored separately and the inventory of each item is not deducted when you sell one of the .  You have to "build" an  in order for the inventory to be taken from the individual piece parts.

2.  are always listed as one line item while groups can either be listed as one item or mulitple items.

There are other differences that can be found in the QuickBooks help under the topic "Deciding whether to use group items or create inventory "

Is what you really need support for groups or do  work for you?

David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

qbsrox

Inventory  and Groups would be a great addition to the SuperManager!  I have quite a few clients who struggle with this; and who need the option. 

If you can only add one feature right now, I would vote Inventory  .... but they need to be sure they understand the difference when setting it up for everything to work correctly.  I believe Groups would also be a valuable addition, but that could come in a later update. 

I just have to say it again ... I love how you guys are willing to take into consideration new features and how quickly you respond!

Thanks,
Rox  :-)
Rox
Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor
www.consulting4qb.com

David Johns

Rox,

Thanks for chiming in.  Actually The SuperManager currently supports Inventory .  We will be adding support for groups soon.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

qbsrox

David,

Does that mean the SuperManager Lite also supports it?  Or only the full version?  Is there a link to a place in the manual that covers it?

Thanks!
Rox :-)
Rox
www.consulting4qb.com

Hi David and Qbsrox,

Well I tested Inventory  and it won't work. It doesn't take from the inventory of the main product where as Groups does.

Qbsrox why do you like Inventory  better when it won't drip the inventory of the main item? We sell multiple packs of items (ie. 2 Power Juicers) and it needs to drip the inventory of the Power Juicer main Inventory Item by the pack number (usually 2 right now but we are going to be carrying a product soon that will have many more pack options). It may even be several types of different products.

So now you probably are asking yourself why not just use Yahoo's multiple pricing scheme (10.00 2 18.00 etc.). Well it look terrible on the screen and we found a better conversion rate on our 2 packs. Your thoughts Qbsrox?

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com

qbsrox

Hey Nathan,

I can't say that I like  over Groups; I just have more people that want to use them.  One of the biggest differences is that you have to 'build' the  for it to come out of inventory and it is deducted by part; so some of the clients have a virtual sku set up for this.  Therefore if the  is not built, it won't deduct it

Service type items will not work; for someone wanting service items included they have to use the Group feature.

The Groups work nice and many find them easier to use since you don't have to 'build' anything beforehand.  It works best if you already have the items set up to be sold separate or you sell the same things together often, or if you need to include service items.

can only contain inventory parts or other  items; only the  name will print on forms (no choices like the Group), will show up on standard inventory reports, Inventory is adjusted when  is built, so you can set aside a certain number of items to only be sold as a unit, and only one sales tax code is used.

So it's all really a preference for the end-user, and of course on how the developer can code their program to work with the two different item types.  It's nice to have both features,  and thinking more about it ... I guess my first vote would be Groups since it is easier to set-up/use.

Rox :-)

Rox
www.consulting4qb.com

Thanks for the input. As always it's interesting to see how others do things.

David - Any timeframe (no pressure) on getting Groups working?

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com

David Johns

Nathan,

This and several other features are ready for beta release in version 1.1.1.1.  We will be sending out notifications.  If anyone who does not receive one is interested in testing the new version please contact us at info@thesupermanager.com
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

Now working. Even on the Canadian Edition of QB.

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com

David Johns

Nathan,

Thanks for the feedback.

David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com