XML Exporting to QB

Started by ajentp, September 16, 2006, 03:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajentp

Hello,

I am facing little problem when I tried to export to QB. I have set SM as per manual. I tried different orders one by one. Here what happens:

If order status is OPEN in SM, export is successful,
if order status is other than OPEN such as CHARGED, CHARGED & SHIPPED, then I receive error that account is missing.

By the way I am exporting order as invoice.

Any help?

Thanks

Ahsan

David Johns

Ahsan,

The one pre-requisit to running the exports is to have certain accounts set up in QuickBooks and their names entered in your store settings.  These are all listed and explained in section 11.1.b of the manual.  Have you set up all of these accounts as described and entered their names in your store settings?

Also, can you tell me which account it says is missing?

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

ajentp

David,

Here is the message I received when I tried to XML export to QB an order as an invoice, which has been charged.

==============
Request 1: Status = There was an error when saving a Invoice.  QuickBooks error message: There is an account missing in one or more items used in the transaction detail lines.
==========================

And there is the message I received when I tried to XML export to QB an order whose item does not exist in QB.

Please help.

Thanks

Ahsan

=================
Order 30217-manual: Error adding item 'TW51206': There is an invalid reference to QuickBooks Account "Taxable Sales" in the Items.  QuickBooks error message: Invalid argument.  The specified record does not exist in the list.
====================

One more question, do I need to export the batches to QB before exporting orders to it.

ajentp

Hi David,

I will extend explanation for problems described above.

With one order I did some experiment. When I downloaded the order into SM and without charging it, I tried to export it into QB, and export was successful. No error. 

I checked QB, the payment of this order was in account receiveable, however it was not applied to Undeposited Funds.

Then I  deleted the invoice and charged the order. After that I tried again to export. This time I received the same message as:

============
equest 1: Status = There was an error when saving a Invoice.  QuickBooks error message: There is an account missing in one or more items used in the transaction detail lines.
=====================

So apparently the missing account has to do with the charged payment which I believe is Undeposited Funds.

I check all the account setting and  value again, and to my best knowledge they look correct to me.

Thanks

Ahsan

ajentp

In relation to above problem I have few questions:

at Store Setting > Accounting Export> Taxable Sale Account/ item...
also
at Store Setting > Accounting Export> Non-taxable Sale Account/ item...

are they accounts or items?

Where exactly I can find thier value in QB? I mean in the list of accounts or list of items

Thanks

Ahsan Raza

David Johns

Ahsan,

Sorry that the setup is a bit confusing.  Since everyone's QuickBooks setup is a bit different we offer a setting for almost every account and item that you are using to give maximum flexibility.

For setting up SuperManager to export orders to QuickBooks all the settings that include "Account" in the name are accounts.  So for example "Taxable Sales Account/Item" is an account name, not an item.  (It is an item name when using the batches export, thus we call it Account/Item Name).

The one thing I can tell is missing from the error messages is that you need to have a valid account name in the "Taxable Sales Account/Item" field.  It looks like you probably already recognized that since you asked about them specifically.  QuickBooks was a bit confusing for me to learn at first since an "Account" is not necessarily a place where money is stored.  In this case these accounts should be should be of type "Income".  I guess the other accounts are more obvious since each of the others has a name that is equal to their type.

I hope this helps.  Roxanne Brown is our forum resident QuickBooks expert.  Rox, if you have anything to add, please feel free.

Thanks!
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

ajentp

Part of the problem is solved, but other part is remain same:

Now I am able to export order to QB where item does not exist in QB. Now QB can successfully add new item.

What I did, I set the value of account to "Sale" for the both fields. This is the account I use in QB for all the sale proceed regardless taxable or non taxable.

However I still not able to export those orders which I have already charged. I can only export order which are not charged yet. I guess it has to do something with batches, and as i though, I am unable to export batch to QB. The error message is:

"Taxable Sale item does not exist an attempt to add it failed"

In my opinion, what is happening in the back ground and what I need to do is:

I need to export batches first to QB before I can export any charged order. The batches will make an instance of debit in "Undeposited Funds" for each order, and at the same time will make an instance of a credit in "Accounts Receivable" to balance the equation.

However as I mentioned that I am unable to export batches to QB because I could not set the correct value for the batches export in the following:

at Store Setting > Accounting Export> Taxable Sale Account/ item...

at Store Setting > Accounting Export> Non-taxable Sale Account/ item...

I do not know what exactly is "Taxable Sale item". If any one can explain to me.

Thanks

Ahsan Raza

David Johns

Ahsan,

Good - we are making progress.  I'm not sure why it failed to create the payment items.  I am a bit confused, though.  The only time this message would come up is if you were exporting batches.  It should not ever come up when you are exporting orders.  I guess maybe I just misunderstood.

Let me just explain - the batches and orders export are two totally different approaches to getting your financial data into QuickBooks.  Most customers use the orders export.  You access this one by going to "View" | "Orders", selecting the orders to export, right clicking and selecting "XML Exchange" | "QuickBooks".  This will create one invoice or receipt for each order you have selected.

If you receive too many orders to have each one in QuickBooks you may want to consider the batches export instead.  This one allows you to just import your merchant batches, which contain a number of credit card transactions.  Most people have their stores set up to automatically submit a batch each day.  You can then export these batches to QuickBooks from the "View" | "Admin" screen and pressing the "Accounting Export" button.

SuperManager needs to be set up differently for batches and orders.  If batches are what you want to export you will need to fill in all the item names for each one of your merchant accounts.  To do this you have to select each account from the dropdown, then select each Pay Method and enter an item name to use for all the funds received through this Pay Method for this account.  You then repeat this for all the pay methods and for each account.

When you are setting up to export orders you do not need to fill in these settings for each account.  You just have to fill them out for the "Cash Transactions and Orders" account as I explained last time.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

ajentp

Oh I guess I was wrong when I thought order export and batch export are related.

Let's first focus on order export:

when ever I tired to export order which are charged I get this error:

==============================

Request 1: Status = There was an error when saving a Invoice.  QuickBooks error message: There is an account missing in one or more items used in the transaction detail lines.

===================================

Second thing I noticed that payment does not apply automatically as credit available to the invoices as it is with Yahoo QB export. I have to go to Receive Payment window to select payment to transfer into Undeposited Funds.

Any help?

Thanks

Ahsan Raza

David Johns

Ahsan,

As far as the error goes - Please double check each of the item names you told SuperManager to use for each of your pay methods.  For example, you may have one called 'Visa', 'MasterCard' and so forth.  Edit them in QuickBooks and make sure that each of them is of type "Payment" and has selected to "Group with other Undeposited Funds".  It sounds like they are referencing some account that does not exist right now.  If the items you have entered in your settings are not of type "Payment" and you have used them in transactions already in QuickBooks you may need to just create new ones - or just give SuperManager names of new ones and let it create them.

When SuperManager creates these items itself this should be properly set, however, if you are using items already existing in QuickBooks they may be set differently.

Once this is setup properly after exporting orders you will just have to create a deposit in QuickBooks to claim the funds received through the orders into a Bank Account since they will all be grouped into Undeposited Funds waiting to be claimed.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

ajentp

All right,

I got what was the problem. I need to create four items (type: Payment) in the item list in QB. Namely: Visa, Master , American Express, Discover. Then the name of each of these should be set as value in corresponding pay method at Accounting Export in SM.

The reason of the confusion was that I did have these items in the item list. Which probably were created after first ever export (new format) from  Yahoo Store to QB, long time ago. However the type of each of them was set to "Service" rather than to "Payment. SM will not accept any of the payment item unless it's type is set to Payment and will give the following error.

==========================

equest 1: Status = There was an error when saving a Invoice.  QuickBooks error message: There is an account missing in one or more items used in the transaction detail lines.
==============================

So now at least order export to QB is working.

Thanks

Ahsan

David Johns

Ahsan,

So glad it is working for you now.  Your experience is a good reference to us and future users.  Thanks for your feedback and your patience!

David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

qbsrox

For anyone who used the Yahoo to QuickBooks export before, you should go through your QuickBooks item list and rename and inactivate those strange accounts that Yahoo made; same with the chart of accounts.  You will probably see phantom bank accounts and all the items that Yahoo makes are service types, which is generally incorrect.

Rox :-)

Rox
Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor
www.consulting4qb.com