Databases with Different Settings

Started by qbsrox, January 17, 2007, 08:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbsrox

I know we talked about this before, but it's becoming more of an issue for me now.

I set up a lot of databases for clients, then we restore them to their computer.  The problem I run into is whatever settings I used on the last database changes all the databases.  So if I set up a client to use the Date option as the customer name to control the customer item list entries; when I import my orders and want the customer name/address, etc., I have to remember to go back in and change that or do a cut/paste dance.  Then I set up a customer and forget to change it back.

Is there any way we can either have the settings saved/ per database or an easier way to deal with this?

Thanks,
Rox  :-)
Rox
Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor
www.consulting4qb.com

Mike Griggs

Hey Rox,
I think this is a specific need for the way you work with your clients.  The settings you are referring to are the Program Settings.  The Program Settings are stored in a file called "supermanager.set" in the SuperManager Program Files directory and are not stored in the .smg database file. 

When you close the program the Program Settings are saved to the "supermanager.set" file.  If you wanted to load different settings files for different stores then you could create multiple settings files and rename them each time you need to load a new store. 

For example (lot of steps here but i've broken it up to be clear.., this could also be automated with simple windows script):
1. Setup Sample Store settings in the SuperManager
2. Save the samplestore.smg file
3. Close the SuperManager as usual
4. Copy the settings file from supermanager.set to samplestore.set
5. Create and manage another Store
6. When you need to open samplestore.smg again, just copy the samplestore.set over supermanager.set before you open the SuperManager and you will load the previously saved settings.

If you have any questions about this just let us know.  We could probably automate this a little for you with some scripting.

I hope that helps..

Thanks!
Mike

qbsrox

I just posted a nice long message and it bumped me out  :cry:

I'm happy to pay you to code the script 'thingy' up for me - we all know how "non-technical" I really am!  I used to deal with the different settings ok, but now it's really becoming a problem for me.  Mine is set up one way and new clients that I set up might be the same, but they are typically different.

I realize I work differently then most with this  :-D.  However I can see how this might be a feature request in the future from other users.

Example:  One user has 3 stores; one QB's file. 

- 1st store is a start-up, so customer names/addresses, and items are all passed into QuickBooks and tracked there.

- 2nd store is more established, so we are using the date for the customer list management, but still tracking items in QB's.

- 3rd store is has constantly changing inventory - so they are managing that stores' inventory in SM, and doing either of the above for the customer side.

They could use the script to make sure each database has the right settings before anything gets messed up or confusing.

Let me know what you need from me - to help keep me sane...lolol.

Thanks,
Rox :-)

Rox
Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor
www.consulting4qb.com