SM Freezes When Loading New HTML-based Email Code/Content

Started by finnstyle, April 22, 2008, 11:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnstyle

We have been trying to paste new HTML code into the email builder but it seems to be freezing/locking up the program. The HTML code has no errors in it, so we cannot figure out why it's basically making the system freeze and crash.

We used the invoicehtml.txt file template (referenced in some old posts) and modified it using our own graphics (banners, logos, product images). The rest of the information is pretty similar to that in the stock template. Any idea why our HTML would be locking up the system? Has anyone else reported such an issue?

Thanks,
Cory
www.FinnStyle.com
www.FinnishGifts.com
www.Aalto.com
www.GlassBirds.com
www.AlwaysMod.com

David Johns

Cory,

I have seen this happen before if you have a <TR> tag that has attributes in it - for example <TR name="MyRow">.

If this is not the case please attach the html code as a text file to a reply post and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

finnstyle

Hi David,

Yes, I believe a lot of variables are listed within table rows. I've attached a couple different versions of the html code I was using. Version 1 (v1) is basically created from scratch (removed a lot of the frontpage style code from the template and rebuilt) -- I'm not sure if the system will even read/populate the variables or not. I created Version 2 (v2) after reviewing the invoicehtml.txt template file that was referenced on this forum in a previous post and modified it a bit leaving a lot of the style code. V2 did not crash the system as bad as v1; however it does not have all the bells and whistles that I coded in v1 (i.e. image maps, more 'a href' links, etc.). You will see though that both versions open up fine in IE. I can't figure it out. Please review. Thanks for the help!

Cory
www.FinnStyle.com
www.FinnishGifts.com
www.Aalto.com
www.GlassBirds.com
www.AlwaysMod.com

David Johns

Cory,

Try these out.  It was what I had indicated.  You had several <tr> tags that had attributes in them.  For example the first version had several that were <tr border-color=#00000000>.  The color attribute was actually not needed because black is the default color anyway.  The other one specified fonts, but it didn't make any visible change when I looked at it before and after.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

finnstyle

Hey David,

Thanks for your super-speedy help. I tried these out and this time we're having the McAfee problem again - Every time I try to send one, McAfee gives me the "one or more email messages cannot be sent" thing (even though outgoing email scan is disabled!) just like I was getting before when the "send as HTML" box wasn't checked. But it's checked this time! The email will just not go through.

The really weird part is that McAfee doesn't have an error message for it. Other times when McAfee stops my emails, it has a "command sent, command recieved" thing in the error log, and then command recieved usually has a link where you can go for more info. (The last time we had this issue, it was something about Bare LF's) Well, this time, there's no error code or message. It just says "command recieved:" with nothing after it.

Kyla
www.FinnStyle.com
www.FinnishGifts.com
www.Aalto.com
www.GlassBirds.com
www.AlwaysMod.com

David Johns

Kyla,

I tested both of them on my computer and they both work.  You should have received cc'd copies of each.  They look great!

Sorry - but this doesn't appear to be a SuperManager problem, but an environment issue.  It seems likely that McAffee is somehow causing it, but I'm not sure what to tell as far as where to begin debugging it short of completely uninstalling McAffee, which may not be an option for you anyway.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

finnstyle

Uninstalling McAfee completely does not work. I'm getting the *SM* error message about Bare LF's again.

"SMTP Error: Message body rejected
451 See http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html"

Any other ideas?
www.FinnStyle.com
www.FinnishGifts.com
www.Aalto.com
www.GlassBirds.com
www.AlwaysMod.com

David Johns

Kyla,

Maybe I didn't understand the problem correctly.  I thought you were saying the error message was coming from McAffee.  Since it apparently wasn't causing the problem can you please take screen shots of the errors you are getting so I can see exactly what they look like and say?  You should be able to attach the screenshots to the forum post.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

finnstyle

No, the error message WAS coming from McAfee. Uninstalling McAfee made me get the error message in SM (see attached screenshot).

I actually tried this with a test order today and it worked. Doing it with a real order, with tracking information, made it fail. (yes, contrary to what my screenshot might look like, it was a real order, I just erased all the customer info) So I'm thinking it's something to do with the shipping variables we added to the email. However, that's kind of the point of the email, so we can't really work around that.

Update: I *KNOW* it's something to do with the shipping/tracking stuff in the email. I added a fake tracking number to the test order that worked before, and this time it failed.
www.FinnStyle.com
www.FinnishGifts.com
www.Aalto.com
www.GlassBirds.com
www.AlwaysMod.com

David Johns

finnstyle,

Are you using the Yahoo SMTP server?  If so, I would strongly recommend using the SMTP server hosted by your ISP instead.  The Yahoo server is very finicky.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

finnstyle

www.FinnStyle.com
www.FinnishGifts.com
www.Aalto.com
www.GlassBirds.com
www.AlwaysMod.com

Mike Griggs

Hello,
Can I get a chance to log into your computer to fix this problem?
Please email me and we can arrange at time for me to login.
Thanks!
Mike

Mike Griggs

(for future reference...)

After review of this problem it was found that the UPS tracking link as the anchor text was causing problems for Yahoo's email server.

The UPS Tracking link was programmed as

http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/processInputRequest?HTMLVersion=5.0&tracknums_displayed=1&TypeOfInquiryNumber=T&loc=en_US&InquiryNumber1=&AgreeToTermsAndConditions=yes

<a href="http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/processInputRequest?HTMLVersion=5.0&tracknums_displayed=1&TypeOfInquiryNumber=T&loc=en_US&InquiryNumber1=&AgreeToTermsAndConditions=yes" target="_blank">http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/processInputRequest?HTMLVersion=5.0&tracknums_displayed=1&TypeOfInquiryNumber=T&loc=en_US&InquiryNumber1=&AgreeToTermsAndConditions=yes</a></small></td>

but it seems Yahoo! mail server preferred something like..

Track UPS Package

<a href="http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/processInputRequest?HTMLVersion=5.0&tracknums_displayed=1&TypeOfInquiryNumber=T&loc=en_US&InquiryNumber1=&AgreeToTermsAndConditions=yes" target="_blank">Track UPS Package</a></small></td>

SuperWare Customer Support

finnstyle

Hi Mike,

Our emails are now sending through okay, but i'm noticing that SM is completely ignoring my style rules for the font and size. I know you had called this out before in a prior post about having attributes in the table rows but I have since removed them. I have styles 8 and 9 called out in the code for Arial 12pt font. When we load it into SM, it appears to be appending it's own style code over my HTML and it looks like its Time New Roman 12pt.

Is this a glitch in SM or with my HMTL code again b/c it previews fine in IE/FF browsers? You help is much appreciated.

Cory
www.FinnStyle.com
www.FinnishGifts.com
www.Aalto.com
www.GlassBirds.com
www.AlwaysMod.com

Mike Griggs

Hello Cory,

The SuperManager doesn't add or change any styles in your email body.
If you send one of these emails from the Supermanager to info@thesupermanager.com then we can have a look at the original html and see what's going on.

Also, email programs sometimes parse the styles differently so that is probably part of the problem too.

You probably have an error with your styles so check through it again and you can also send the email for us to review.

Thanks!
Mike