Any tips on how to reconcile, please

Started by alpinedynamics, September 05, 2008, 01:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpinedynamics

Any suggestions on how to reconcile data imported from SM to QuickBooks?  The problem (which I'm sure is the strength) is mainly that data is imported to QB at the order level.  Whereas QB reconciles for a time frame, e.g. for a statement period. Here's an example of the challenge that is:

On Jan 20 order 5505 ($5), 5506 ($15) and 5507 ($10) are all transferred in a single batch to American Express for a total of $30.  At the end of January that reconciles fine with my Amex statement.  But then in Feb there's a credit of $5 for order 5506. Uh, oh. That order was reconciled already.

Where do I go from here? Anyone with experience reconciling at the order level?

David Johns

alpine dynamics,

This largely depends on how your merchant account deposits the funds into your bank account.  If it makes a deposit for each batch, I would recommend creating a deposit in quickbooks for each batch.  You should just have to select all the orders that went into the batch and then add a line item at the bottom to reduce it by any fees that were deducted.

If your merchant account makes a weekly (or other) batch, you would follow the same line of thinking just creating a deposit that includes all the orders grouped together and deposited into your bank account.

Does that help at all?

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

alpinedynamics

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I do. In my example above, I batch all three orders together and it works great. Until the next month when one of the orders has a credit  with it. SM rightly updates that order with a credit, but since it was already moved from "undeposited funds" in QB I can't reconcile that order.

David Johns

alpinedynamics,

For special cases like when you have to credit back part or all of the order I generally wouldn't recommend re-exporting the order.  I would generally recommend manually creating a credit memo for such cases.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

alpinedynamics

Good advice.  I should have sought your advice before I exported a full 6 months of data and now have to reconcile bunch of credited orders (and have been working with the file for a month now, so can't go back). Love the software.