Taxable vs Non-taxable Account/items

Started by marcflood, August 19, 2009, 01:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcflood

In SuperManger Lite I have the store settings specify "Merchandise Sales" for the Taxable Sales Account/Item and "Nontaxable Sales" as the Non-taxable Account/Item.

What exactly is this supposed to do? I was guessing that it was supposed to separate sales depending if they were charged sales tax or not but ALL of my sales are going into my "Merchandise Sales" account and nothing is going into the "Nontaxable Sales" account.

My Sales Tax Payable (other current liability account) does list all of the sales tax collected from taxable sales however.

All of my items are taxable if the items are shipped within Texas.

Do I have something setup wrong or is this working the way it is supposed to?

David Johns

Marc,

This is probably correct.  There are multiple levels of how funds are sorted to taxable and non-taxable.  The portion you are talking about is just addressing what funds are collected for taxable vs. non-taxable items.  For retail stores all items will be taxable.  The only time you would have non-taxable items is for gift certificates or wholesale items.

Tax liability is determined using a different mechanism.  Note that next to each item SuperManager deliniates it as either "TAX" or "NON".  Those items marked as "TAX" will be included on QuickBooks' tax liability report and this is really all you need to worry about.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com