Do not use UPS "SMART" ship if you import via XML to UPS Worldship!!!!

Started by groovycarts, March 30, 2010, 03:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groovycarts

This is not a problem directly with SM but I thought I would give everyone a heads up if they use an XML file import to import your orders from SM to UPS Worldship.  We recently changed from a UPS daily pick up schedule to UPS's new "SMART" ship service.  By doing this we save a little on the weekly UPS fee if we don't have a lot of shipments that week and UPS now only comes by to pick up when we have scheduled a shipment in UPS Worldship.

BUT no one told us when we changed to the smart pick up plan that we can no longer perform XML imports into UPS Worldship.  I even asked my UPS sales rep before changing if there were any advantages or disadvantages to changing to the smart pick up service other than the flat $10 per week fee and he  me there were none.  Then a few days later I tried to start the XML Import in UPS Worldship and it was grayed out.  After much frustration I called UPS Worldship support to see what the problem was and they informed me of the limitation when using their STUPID "SMART" ship.

So do not use UPS "SMART" ship if you import via XML to UPS Worldship. Hope this helps.

David Johns

Thanks for passing the information on!  Hopefully UPS will fix this limitation in the near future.  Were you able to set up an ODBC connection with SuperManager and WorldShip so you don't have to manually re-enter the shipment information?
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

groovycarts

Hi David,

Actually I did not try setting up the ODBC connection because it appears there may be other limitations as well.  We are just converting back to the regular scheduled daily pick up to avoid this issue.  We normally do enough shipping each week to keep the weekly UPS charge to the minimum $10.  Honestly I don't think this is a limitation UPS wants to fix, I think they set these limitations on purpose to push people to the daily scheduled pick up plan where they have the potential to charge you more ($20 per week) if you don't reach their required shipping level.  So I don't think we will see a fix for this from UPS.  The UPS Worldship tech I spoke to when I discovered this XML import limitation did not indicate they had any plans on fixing or changing this limitation when you are set up on their Smart shipping plan.  Maybe they will change this if enough people complain.  I sent an email to my UPS sales rep about this issue.  I will post any updates when I hear back from him.

Will