QB Import Date from SM

Started by Nathan - AsSeenOnTVChannel.com, June 22, 2006, 05:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan - AsSeenOnTVChannel.com

Is there a way of changing the date it uses to import with. Currently it's the order date and we would like it to be when it is "Charged" as this is the true invoice date and makes it easier for reconciliation.

Please also include "Manually Charged" in this request as we are not fully automated through Yahoo yet for payment.

I know this will change the sales stats since we process on Monday like most people there will be no sales on Saturday or Sunday but our accountant will be happier with this correct method of accounting.

Let me know you thoughts.

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com
http://www..com

qbsrox

Nathan,

There is a manual charge in the drop-down list in SuperManager if you 'add event' - is that what you were looking for, or something else?  What level of Yahoo store are you on?

As for the date issue, that's a tough one.  I'm  you review all orders and do not allow Yahoo to automatically charge, correct?  There is no way to change it in Yahoo, so if you change it in QB's then everything will be out of whack.  In theory, the sale took place when they checked out, even though you haven't charged it yet. 

The only option you really have would be to import them as an Invoice, then have the payment post on the day you charged them .... that would solve all the problems without creating new ones.

Hope that makes sense and may help a bit.  Also ... are you using the SuperManager Lite or the Full version (I'm just curious)? 

Rox

Rox
Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor
www.consulting4qb.com

Thanks for the feedback. I am using the Manual Charge now (just got an email with my Moneris account info so hopefully I will be payment automated by next week). A simple solution would be a QB export option that allows you to use the Payment Charge date for the invoice (thus being correct accounting).

I am using the full version of SuperManager (wasn't even aware that there is a lite version but I am sure it doesn't suit my needs) with Yahoo Merchant Solutions Standard (for now). We have customized our store quite a bit and I still working on some RTML features.

How many orders do you process in a day?

Nathan...
.com
Nathan Freedman
.com

qbsrox

Nathan,

I 'think' they may have a variable that can use the charge date instead of the order date... I'm sure the guys will chime in though.  If so, that would solve your issue ... and probably easier than creating the invoice then posting the payment (but if getting technical, that is how it 'should' be; as the products were sold on xxx - thus an invoice; the product was paid for on xxx - thus the payment).  I guess it's a matter of preference as well; as typically the delay is only 1-2 days ... or for that matter, hours when you are looking at the end of the month.

However for the majority of eCom users, using the date ordered is better; as many of them have Yahoo set to automatically charge the orders unless they are flagged for manual review because of possible fraud or for back-orders.  Once the typical user starts changing dates between the two systems they have a much harder time reconciling or keeping up in general ... it gets very confusing and messy for them; unless they have some accounting background or in some cases it comes down to time.

I do not process many orders thru my Yahoo store, I process most of my payments directly from my QuickBooks file.  However, about 80% of my clients are eCommerce merchants ... many Yahoo store owners.  They process anywhere from 5 to several hundred orders a day.  Typically I help them get set-up with the integration to QuickBooks and offer training, etc.

Rox
Rox
www.consulting4qb.com

qbsrox

Oh, I forgot this part .... the SuperManager Lite is an order importer; it has less functionality and features than the full version.  It is an awesome program, very easy to set up and use for Yahoo stores and QuickBooks.  Based on your posts; you are correct, you need the full version - which is also an awesome program!  I like the fact that the store owner can start with the intro package and seamless upgrade when they need to - the guys did a great job with the program.

Rox :-)

Rox
www.consulting4qb.com

David Johns

Rox,

Thanks for all the good discussion on the pros and cons of using the order date versus the charge date.  Currently we don't offer the ability to use the charge date as the order date.  We could add such a setting if Nathan and others feel this is better for their accounting.  Any thoughts Nathan?  From your original post I got the impression you had already discussed this issue with your accountant.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

Rox has a great point. In fact since we just got our automated merchant number we will process automatically. Even on manual orders the order date and payment date will be the same. So now I will have to say that it is perfect for now since I will be automated.

Rox - What rules do your merchants (clients) usually use for flagging an order for review before processing? We will now have that functionality but are worried about excessive declines (actually I see that Yahoo just flags the orders). Still curious what rules you use?

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com

qbsrox

Hey Guys,

I love these discussions  :-D ... always so much good information!

Nathan,

Each of the Yahoo store owners are set up a little different; a lot depends on what they sell, if they accept international orders, etc.  Most do have the Risk Tools enabled, with a minimum dollar amount set.

Then down on the AVS & CVV rules ...it varies, you may have to play around with it so not to many are flagged, yet you are covered.  I'm not going to post what the rules are, for security reasons .. but for instance the 1st one is generally set to accept; the next two may be to flag, the 4th one is accept, the last one is usually flag.  Down on the next set of 3 .. Flag, Accept, Flag if using. 

Now depending on the set up in general, you may have more settings to select from.  It usually takes a month or so for a merchant to get all their rules where they like them.  And if you get a bunch of frauds from a particular IP address, you can block them.

Hope that helps a bit,
Rox

Rox
www.consulting4qb.com

Thanks so much. And yes I love these discussions as well. Gives me some great ideas for automation and order processing.

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com

Ok. I have given it sometime and not I know another reason why it should be the payment date and not the order date that I would like QB to import using. Besides being able to match up batch deposits easily, if you have a backordered item and it comes in it posts the order to the order date and that can be as much as over a month ago. Then it messes up with reporting and reconciliation.

David - Please let me know if this can be an option in the XML exporting feature in a future release. A check box to say use Payment date as the invoice date when importing into QB.

Thanks,

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com

qbsrox

Backorders for sure; they are a 'challenge' right now.  I like the option of either the order or payment date; but I would suggest making the order date the default.

Rox

Rox
www.consulting4qb.com

Will hit this message again so it doesn't get forgotten for a future release. Not a big deal but the accountant will like this feature.

Nathan...
Nathan Freedman
.com

David Johns

Nathan,

I do have it on the hitlist.  It just didn't make it into this round of upgrades.  It will likely be implemented in the next month or two.

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com